Who Are Bausch + Lomb
Today, the company is one of the best-known and most respected healthcare brands in the world, offering the widest and finest range of eye health products including contact lenses and lens care products, pharmaceuticals, intraocular lenses, and other eye surgery products.
Bausch and Lomb are, however, one of the oldest continually operating companies in the US today, Bausch + Lomb traces its roots to 1853, when John Jacob Bausch, a German immigrant, set up a tiny optical goods shop in Rochester, New York. When he needed more money to keep the business going, Bausch borrowed $60 from his good friend, Henry Lomb. Bausch promised that if the business grew, Lomb would be made a full partner. The business did grow and the partnership was formed.
In the early years, Bausch + Lomb manufactured revolutionary rubber eyeglass frames as well as a variety of optical products that required a high degree of manufacturing precision. By 1903, the firm had been issued patents for microscopes, binoculars, and even a camera shutter based on the eye’s reaction to light.
In the 1900s, Bausch + Lomb continued to demonstrate its place at the forefront of technological innovation for optical products. Bausch + Lomb produced the first optical quality glass made in America, developed ground-breaking sunglasses for the military in World War I, and created the lenses used on the cameras that took the first satellite pictures of the moon. In 1971, Bausch + Lomb introduced the first soft contact lenses and is still the largest global provider of eye care products.
Although products and times have changed, Bausch + Lomb still adheres to the legacy of dedication to innovation, quality, and craftsmanship established by John Jacob Bausch and Henry Lomb. In August 2013, Bausch + Lomb became the eye care division of Bausch Health Companies Inc., formerly known as Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
What Contact Lenses Do Bausch + Lomb Manufacturer
Bausch + Lomb manufacture a wide range of soft contact lenses in both hydrogel and silicone hydrogel materials in a wide variety of wearing modes including
- Daily Contact Lenses
- Monthly Contact Lenses
- Toric Contact Lenses for astigmatism,
- Multifocal Contact Lenses for presbyopia
- Extended Wear Contact Lenses for overnight wear
- Coloured Contact Lenses in 10 amazing colours
Bausch + Lomb manufacturer a wide a range of contact lens solutions, such as the best selling Renu multipurpose solution.
Where Can I Buy Bausch + Lomb Contact Lenses
Bausch + Lomb contact lenses are fitted and available in almost every high street optical practice. You can also find Bausch + Lombs products in reputable online suppliers, where you can often find them at lower prices than the high street, due to lower overheads and large purchasing powers.
Our Top Selling Bausch + Lomb Contact Lenses
Soflens Daily Disposable - A daily disposable contact lens with Aspheric optics are designed to enhance vision even in low lighting conditions and helps with peripheral vision.
Soflens 59 - A monthly disposable contact lens made using protein resistant material to provide clear vision with high comfort levels, and with 59% water content
Purevision 2 - An extended wear contact lens with high definition optics. A silicone hydrogel contact lens designed to reduce glare and halos around lights, whilst delivering crisp, clear vision, even in low light conditions.
Soflens Daily for Astigmatism - A daily disposable contact lens for people with astigmatism, featuring advanced Lo-Torque™ design with optimised thickness and prism ballasting for a very stable centred contact lens for contact lens wearers with astigmatism up to -1.75
Purvision Multifocal - An extended wear contact lens for people with presbyopia. Made of a unique material called AerGel that lets natural levels of oxygen reach your eyes so that they stay comfortable and healthy. The lenses are also designed to resist protein and debris build up.
Purevision 2 - An extended wear contact lens with high Definition Optics. A silicone hydrogel contact lens designed to reduce glare and halos around lights, whilst delivering crisp, clear vision, even in low light conditions.
Brief History of Bausch + Lomb
Bausch + Lomb’s history begins back in 1853 in Rochester New York.
Over the years Bausch + Lomb have developed many innovative products and breakthrough research, below we have focused on the involvement with contact lenses, but they have played important roles in photography, filmography, microscopes, medicine and surgery to name a few. If you are interested in a more in-depth history of Bausch + Lomb check out Bausch + Lombs History and Heritage
- 1853 - John Jacob Bausch set up a tiny optical goods shop in Rochester, New York having borrowed $60 from his friend Henry Lomb.
- 1853-1900 - Due to the soaring prices of horn used in horn-rim glasses, the budding Bausch + Lomb company innovates new a glasses frame made from rubber.
- 1861 - J. J. Bausch’s first great success comes with the revolutionary Vulcanite eyeglass frames.
- 1936 - Bausch + Lomb begin the production of Ray-Ban aviator glasses for military pilots.
- 1971 - Bausch + Lomb launches SofLens® contact lenses, the first mass-produced soft contact lens in the U.S.
- 1981 - Bausch + Lomb creates its first toric contact lens, and the following year launches its first bifocal contact lens.
- 1987 - ReNu® multipurpose solution for soft contact lenses is launched.
- 1999 - PureVision® contact lenses, the first silicone hydrogel contact lenses in the U.S., are launched.
- 2006 - Bausch + Lomb receives FDA clearance for SofLens® daily disposable contact lenses.
- 2010 - Biotrue® multi-purpose solution and PureVision®2 contact lenses are introduced.
- 2014 - Bausch + Lomb ULTRA® silicone hydrogel monthly contact lenses and Biotrue® ONEday for Presbyopia contact lenses are introduced.
- 2016 - Bausch + Lomb ULTRA® for Presbyopia is launched.
- 2017 - Bausch + Lomb ULTRA® for Astigmatism and Biotrue® ONEday for Astigmatism are introduced.
- 2019 - Bausch + Lomb ULTRA® Multifocal for Astigmatism is launched.
Interesting facts about Bausch + Lomb
Bausch + Lomb manufacture the broadest range of soft contact lens prescription options. (1)
First images of the surface of the moon are taken using Bausch + Lomb Super Baltar lenses.
Bausch + Lomb is the original creator and manufacturer of Ray-Ban Aviator sunglasses. B&L developed them in 1936 to protect the eyes and provide high levels of sun protection for pilots, hence the name Aviator.
Do Bausch + Lomb Make Daily Lenses
Do Bausch + Lomb Make A Coloured Lens
Yes, Bausch + Lomb have their own range of monthly disposable coloured contact lenses called Soflens Natural Colors, they come in 10 stunning shades of brilliant natural colours, from Aquamarine to Platinum and are available whether to need prescription contact lenses or not.
Do Bausch + Lomb Make Their Own Contact Lens Solutions
Yes, Bausch a+ Lomb, have a range of solution that includes our most popular solution Renu Multipurpose Solution which comes with a complimentary contact lens case to help keep your lenses clean and fresh. They also produce Renu Travel Pack consisting of 2 x 60ml bottles and a Ziploc bag which has been designed to conform to the flight regulations regarding fluids so ideal for a two week break.
- Coopervision.co.uk -Based on Rx option combinations (sphere, cylinder, axis and add) manufactured, across all soft lenses in sphere, toric and multifocal (including made to order), in silicone hydrogel and hydrogel from 4 main manufacturers. Includes 1 Day, 2 weekly, and monthly disposable contact lenses. Cosmetic and photochromatic contact lenses not included. Multiple base curve variants not included.
John Dreyer Optometrist Bsc(Hons), MCOPTOM, DipCLP
John qualified from Aston University in 1980, he has authored for Contactlenses.co.uk over the last 20 years, bringing his expertise to visitors to the site and providing valuable optical advice to customer questions throughout the years. He has been featured by several leading publications including The Express and ITProPortal